Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Rawlicious Chocolate Pudding

I must confess, I have a severe sweet tooth.  C’mon what girl doesn’t!!  Yet, I also have the desire to be healthy and fit (kind of in wake up mode from winter right now and trying to shed those hibernation pounds in time for summer).  The occasional baked good is fantastic but too much of them and I just don’t feel healthy.  Being a chocoholic, cookie monster, and compulsive cake eater left me looking for the perfect balance of satisfaction and slimness.  When I first became vegan, I noticed my sense of taste heighten.  Soon fatty foods were too fatty tasting and my need for sweetness was downgrading a notch and some things that I loved (especially candy) were just too sweet and made me feel toxic.  So, I tossed the red vines, sour patch kids, and rock candy for good.  In their place, I made vegan cakes, cookies, muffins, scones, and chocolates.  Eventually, I began to feel the same way about baked sweets that I had started to feel about candy and other sweet treats.  I realize know that once we start down the path to ultimate health and clean eating, our body craves more and more until we find the perfect balance of clean eating and food satisfaction.  For me, this means raw desserts.  Don’t get me wrong, I can still go for a slice of apple pie, or a cookie but when I eat raw versions of treats, I can satisfy my sweet tooth and still feel healthy and energetic at the same time.  Not to mention, I don’t feel like my teeth are rotting!  One of my favorite treats when I was a kid (yup, I was a chubby little thing) was pudding cups.  My mother never put limits on what we could eat so I’d down a couple of them as my afterschool snack.  Saying goodbye to dairy is the first pudding cup kicker.  Cutting back on processed sugar is another.  However, as I love being as unrefined as possible I absolutely must share with you my love love love of this fantastic Rawlicious Chocolate Pudding.  It will keep in the refrigerator overnight but has never gone uneaten longer than that so I’m not sure how long it will actually keep!  Make lots of this stuff in your first go so that you don’t find yourself in the kitchen making a second batch because you can’t believe how sinfully delicious this stuff is.  If you make it and you love it, please leave a comment and share the love by giving this recipe to your friends for them to make as well!
If you like this recipe, feel free to try out my other raw desserts by clicking on the “Recipes” tab and scrolling down to desserts.  Everything raw is marked with an R.
                                                               Choc pudding
 

























  Ingredients:

-  2 avocados, peeled and pitted
-  1 cup almond milk ( I use vanilla flavored almond milk.  If you don’t make your own, store bought
    is okay but usually isn’t raw and contains more sugar).
- 3/4 cup agave nectar, maple syrup, or honey (I am a vegan who uses honey.  I used local, raw
   Blackberry honey for this recipe).
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon alcohol free vanilla extract (or you can substitute with 1 scraped vanilla bean)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of Himalayan salt or sea salt

Directions:
Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth, creamy, and pudding-like.  Chill before serving.  Feel free to garnish with a spring of mint, a sprinkle of cinnamon or coconut, or top with a dollop of raw whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment