Sunday, May 5, 2013

Killer Kale Salad





This kale salad was inspired by watching the Engine 2 Diet documentary on Netflix.  In it, they made a kale salad where avocado was the only dressing.  For me, that tasted a tad too plain, since I'm not looking to keep fat and salt or TASTE to a minimum.  So, I dressed up my salad with lots of flavor and it was to die for! So, I named it appropriately :)



Killer Kale Salad
4-5 cups kale, de-stemmed and chopped to bite size
1 avocado, chopped
1 small lime, juiced
1 small lemon, juiced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup corn
1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
dash of cayenne

Directions: 1. Add the kale to a medium sized bowl.

2. To the kale, add the chopped avocado, lemon and lime juice and massage, with your hands, the avocado into the kale. The same works for oil when dressing a kale salad. Massaging the leaves will make them softer, allow them to absorb the flavor of the dressing, and will make them less rough on the inside of your mouth. So, always massage your kale!

3. Once your kale is a tad wilty, reduced in size from the massage, and the avocado is smooth, add the rest of your ingredients and toss.

With so much fresh kale around the house, I love to be reminded of what I've got on hand to juice/cook with so I make kale boquets

 
When I wake up in the morning or come home at the end of a long day, these kale boquets are a great reminder to eat healthy, fresh, and nutrient dense foods!
If you love this salad, then try taking kale for lunch.  Avocado can tend to turn if left too long so I make the same salad with a tad of oil instead of avocado and add some Raw Sunflower Chorizo  for a fantastic meal on the go!
 
 
 I hope you enjoy this recipe.  If you do, then please share it with others who are looking to eat healthy and support a healthy body and planet.  Thank you!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment