Saturday, November 30, 2013

Raw Chocolate Truffles

 

When I found out that my hot yoga class was offering a special class Thanksgiving morning, I knew I had to bring a treat!  Since it was in the a.m. and since we were a large group of people, I knew that my raw, vegan Chocolate Truffles would be a hit!  Bite-sized and healthy enough to enjoy in the morning, I decided a big batch was just what was needed.  Everyone loved them and thankfully I made enough for my yoga teacher to take home to her three boy! 
These truffles are incredibly easy to make and are guaranteed to please.  They would make a lovely addition to any holiday table, party, or just a great treat anytime!  Here is what you're going to need:
  • 2 cups raw nuts (I usually always use raw almonds but cashews, pecan, or walnuts would work)
  • 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
  • 1 cup dates, pitted (medjool are a good choice but today I opted for golden)
  • 3-4 Tablespoons filtered water
  • 2-3 Tablespoons maple syrup (optional for added sweetness)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional for added sweetness)
  • Pinch of Himalayan or Sea Salt
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded, dried coconut (for decoration, option to also use raw cacao nibs, sesame seeds, chopped nuts, and raw cacao powder mixed with cinnamon).


Method:
  1. Into a food processor fitted with the "S-type" blade, add your nuts.  If you want little pieces of nuts in your truffles, then process nuts until they are in tiny pieces.  If you want a smoother truffle, process nuts to a fine powder.
  2. Add cacao powder and salt then process briefly to combine.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients and process until the mixture begins to form a giant ball.  The dates are nice and sticky so they will encourage the ingredients to form together.  This should happen pretty quickly.  Test your dough by pushing some between your finger and if it sticks together then it is good to go.
  4. Roll the truffle mixture into small 1 inch balls. 
  5. Take coconut and place on a plate (option to also use more cacao powder or sesame seeds to roll your truffles in for variety).
  6. Roll each ball in the coconut so that is covered like a little ball of snow.
  7. Enjoy!

Here is the plate I brought to my yoga class!  Literally took just 30 minutes to make :)
Happy Holidays!!




No comments:

Post a Comment