Right now, I am in the middle of a New Years cleanse that a friend invited me to join. If you follow this blog regularly, then you know that I usually eat clean on a daily basis. However, one of my favorite staples, rice, is not allowed on this cleanse. So, I give to you two cleanse friendly sushi recipes! We've got a Quinoa Sushi Roll and a Ginger Pate Sushi roll. Both are incredibly easy to make and top notch deliciousness! Quinoa actually works very well in sushi because it holds together a lot like rice does. The main difference is that quinoa allows for a lighter roll and a fresher taste. It is now my favorite type of sushi by far.
Here is what you're going to need for the Quinoa Sushi Roll:
- 2 cups quinoa
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 4-6 sheets of nori
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1-2 Persian cucumbers, julienned
- Place water and quinoa in a pot and bring to boil. Cover and reduce to simmer. Cook quinoa for about 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed, the quinoa have little tails and is slightly translucent.
- Transfer cooked quinoa to a non-metallic bowl. Gently stir in the rice vinegar with a non-metallic spoon. Cover and set aside.
- Slice the avocado and julienne the cucumber. Set on a plate for easy access while making sushi.
- If you have a bamboo rolling mat, place the nori sheet shiny side down. Gently press quinoa onto the sheet leaving about 2 inches of space at the top of the roll. Lay veggies horizontally along the bottom. To roll, just take the side closest to you and gently fold the end over the veggies and tuck. Keep rolling until you are at then end of the roll and a little bit of nori wrapper is exposed. To seal the roll, wet the end of the nori sheet with water and seal. If you need a little more help, click here for my picture tutorial.
To serve, just slice the roll into 1" pieces and serve with soy sauce or my Raw Soy Sauce.
Ginger Pate Sushi:
Ginger Almond Pate:
- 3 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp. sea salt (optional)
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/2 cup filtered water, use as needed
- 1 batch ginger almond pate
- 2-3 romaine leaves, chiffonade
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 1 soft yellow squash, julienned
- 4-6 nori sheets
Raw Soy Sauce
- 1 Portobello mushroom, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt
- 2 cups filtered water
- Add mushroom, salt and 1/2 cup water to blender. Blend on high speed for about 10 seconds then begin to slowly add the rest of the water. Blend until smooth.
- Strain to remove any mushroom pieces before serving.
Method for the pate:
- To a food processor fitted with the "S-blade" add the ginger, garlic and salt. Process into small pieces.
- Add the almonds and lemon juice and process until smooth.
- With the processor running, add the water as needed for a hummus like consistency. Put into a small bowl and set aside.
To Roll the Sushi:
- Prepare all of your veggies on a plate and set near your rolling space.
- Just like the roll above, lay the nori sheet shiny side down and place on top of the bamboo rolling mat if you have one. Add the pate to the nori sheet in a rectangle at the end closest to you. On top of that, add your veggies. Then rock n' roll!