Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Jalapeno Cheddar Quinoa Cakes

When I was in high school and still only vegetarian, I used to walk to the bagel shop by my high school in San Diego and buy the Jalapeno Cheese bagel almost everyday.  The combination of savory and spicy is just too good to pass up.  Hearkening back to my love of cheesy spice, I give you Jalapeno Cheddar Quinoa Cakes.  These cakes are good!  So good that I made six and ate five (someone snatched one) and I'm still thinking about making another batch.  These are spicy and cheesy and have a hint of sweetness from the little bits of corn.  Naturally, a shout out goes to Daiya for making the best vegan cheese on the market because it stretches, melts, and acts just like real cheese!  I hope you guys love these as much as I do!!

2 cups cooked quinoa
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (use chickpea flour for a gluten-free option)
2 tbsp ground flax seed
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup corn (frozen organic corn works really well)
1/3 cup Cheddar Daiya Cheese
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
salt to taste (about 1/4 tsp)
pepper to taste (about 1/4 tsp)
1/2 tsp paprika (or you can use chili powder)
1 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
1 tbsp chopped, de-seeded jalapeno pepper (if you are crazy, then leave the seeds in but you have been warned)

Preheat oven to 350℉
1. The flax and water will make our vegan egg to bind the cakes together.  Add the water to the flax seed and whip to make a moist paste.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flax egg, quinoa, flour, corn, Daiya, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, paprika, cilantro, and jalapeno pepper.  Mix well.
3.  Using slightly wet hands, scoop up a small amount of dough to make a little patty.  This recipe will yield 6 cakes.  Place each cake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4.  Bake for 15 minutes, flip and bake for 10 more minutes or until golden and delicious.

✌ YUM

2 comments:

  1. The flavor was awesome, and I want to make again, but I would like them to stick a little better. I had a little trouble keeping the balls solid, any suggestion for what I might not have done right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it helps to add a little extra water when it comes to making the cakes. Once you have the dough in your hands, really smoosh it together, this will help the water and flax to create a binding effect. Also, cup your hands as you press the dough together, then form the dough to the shape you want. If I am having trouble, adding a little water usually helps. If this is not enough, add a little more flax meal or flour. That should do the trick ;) Thank you for the comment!

    ReplyDelete