The idea for these balls was created from my love of ginger salad dressing topped with sesame seeds. Ginger and sesame go so well together and I am an avid lover of dark chocolate covered ginger. I wanted to make something healthy that would satisfy hunger, sweet cravings, and need for energy. Then, Carob Ginger Balls were born!
Makes 24 Balls
1/2 raw almonds
1/4 cup raw sesame seeds
1/4 cup raw sesame seeds for rolling the balls in
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raw carob powder (if you can't find this, grind up carob chips into a powder)
2 tbsp green powder
1 tsp chlorella powder
1 tsp spirulina
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp chopped candied or dried ginger
1. Grind the almonds, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds in a spice/nut/coffee grinder into a fine meal.
2. In a medium bowl add your seed and nut meal, carob powder, green powder, chlorella powder, spirulina powder, honey, and cinnamon. Mix well with a large spoon.
3. Add chopped ginger and mix well.
4. On a separate plate, sprinkle 1/4 cup raw sesame seeds.
5. With clean, dry hands take a pinch of the dough roughly the size of one heaping tablespoon and roll into a ball. Roll the ball onto the sesame seeds to make a "candy" coating. This will give the balls a nice crunch like candy. Repeat until all the dough is gone.
6. Place the balls on a large plate or tray. Cover with plastic wrap (I like to cover with parchment paper first then plastic wrap) or place in a sealed container. Let the balls sit for 12 to 24 hours in the refrigerator before enjoying. Balls will keep for 2 weeks in sealed container in the refrigerator.
*These balls hold their shape extremely well and can travel without getting mushy!
*pictured here with High Energy Almond Balls