Monday, May 21, 2012

Creamy Mayo

When I thought about going vegan, it was hard to grasp just how many animal ingredients are put into everything we eat.  I was unknowingly giving up many of my favorite foods (ice cream, pizza, yogurt) when I became vegan.  One of these, was creamy mayonnaise.  When I actually think about it, I know that mayo is made with eggs but it never occurred to me that being vegan meant no mayo!  After all, the American salad rarely includes a non-mayo based dressing.  Just think about ambrosia salad, potato salad, cole slaw, thousand island dressing... all with mayo!  Not to mention egg salad sandwiches with the tart vinegar mayonnaise and the slight hint of dill.  Well, I was not going to take "hold the mayo" laying down!  Therefore, my dreamy Creamy Mayo is my gift to all you mayo lovin' vegan venturers!  I promise this mayo will not be dry, will not be oily, will not be runny!  It will be dreamy, it will be creamy, and yes, it will taste like mayo.  Remember that all the foods we love can be vegan and can be better!! Enjoy :)

Ingredients:
Yields: About 1/2 cup
2 tbsp sunflower meal (raw sunflower seeds into the seed grinder and you get sunflower meal)
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp acv (apple cider vinegar.  I use Bragg's Raw ACV)
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2-2/3 tsp sea salt or Himalayan salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup olive oil (cold pressed/expeller pressed)
pinch cayenne

Put everything into the blender and blend well.  You can add more or less oil to create your dream consistency but I've had great results with the 1/4 cup.



YUM




No comments:

Post a Comment