Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Eggless "Egg Salad"

Egg salad is a perfect dish for the warmer months.  It screams American summers full of picnics and 4th of July celebrations.  For me, egg salad reminds me of my mother who always loved her egg salad sandwiches.  That is, until she became vegan 2 years ago.  She loves the eggless "egg salad" from Whole Foods so much that I decided to make a version of it at home.  I'm not sure what they put in their theirs (I think it is tofu based) but according to mom, my Eggless "Egg Salad" tastes just like the one at Whole Foods.  So, I am sharing this mom approved recipe with everyone who has given up eggs and is still hankering for a good old egg salad sandwich!  This version is made with chickpeas and is soy-free (with my soy intolerant sister in mind) and it has received thumbs up all around!!

Makes about 2 1/2 cups
Ingredients:
2 cups cooked chickpeas (or you can use canned but freshly made always work best)
1 cup Creamy Mayo (or you can use veganaize if you have it on hand)
2 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
3 tbsp sweet relish
1tbsp chopped red onion (if you prefer green onions, add 2 tbsp)
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp Himalayan salt or sea salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp chopped celery (optional)

To cook chickpeas (garbanzo beans): Soak for 12 hours or overnight.  Rinse.  Put in a pot on high heat with 1:11/2 ratio of chickpea to water.  Bring to boil, reduce, cover and simmer for one hour.  Add salt to taste.

If you have a blender:
Add all ingredients and blend on low to medium for 5 second intervals.  Stop and stir.  Repeat until desired consistency is achieved.

If you do not have a blender:
Put chickpeas in a large plastic bag and beat them with a spoon or wooden mixer until they are well mashed.  In a medium bowl, add mashed chickpea, mayo, mustard, ACV, relish, onion, pepper, salt, paprika, and turmeric.  Mix well.

Just spread bread with Creamy Mayo, add lettuce, tomato, Eggless "Egg Salad" and you're done!

YUM



1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to try making some egg(less) salad! I'm definitely gonna give this a shot. Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete