Makes 22 balls
4 tsp lemon zest (about 2 lemons worth)
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup raw walnut meal (grind raw walnuts in a seed/coffee grinder to make the meal)
1/2 cup raw sesame seed meal (as with the walnuts, just grind raw sesame seeds to make the meal)
2 tbsp raw honey
1/3 cup shredded coconut (organic, unsweetened works best)
1 pinch of sea salt or Himalayan salt
1. Zest the lemons before juicing. (When using the skin of a fruit, make sure to buy organic unwaxed fruit and wash really well before zesting).
2. In a medium bowl, add the lemon zest, walnut meal, sesame meal, raw honey, salt, and juice of 1 lemon. To juice lemon, roll first on the counter to release the juice. Slice in half, remove seeds, and squeeze over bowl.
3. Mix to form a well incorporated dough. Prepare a separate plate or bowl of the shredded coconut for coating. Place an additional plate by your mix bowl to place the balls before coating. *
4. Pinch off a small piece of dough about 1 1/2 inch worth (1 tablespoon worth) and roll into a ball. Place the ball on your empty plate. Repeat until the dough is gone.
5. Wash and dry hands well. Take each ball and roll in shredded coconut. Place finished balls on a plate or tray and place covered in the fridge for 24 hours. Will keep in a sealed container for 1 week in fridge or up to 2 months in freezer.
* Each ball should be pre-rolled before coating in coconut shreds. This will help immensely in preventing your hands from becoming a sticky mess. Coating in coconut with clean hands and balls ready will make this process clean and simple.